Car Seat Clinic scheduled for October 30 at The Children’s Museum
Is yours one of them?
The Indiana Criminal Justice Institute and the Automotive Safety Program at Riley Hospital for Children will host a car seat clinic on Sunday, October 30 from 9:30 am – 1:30 pm in the parking lot of The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis, 3000 N. Meridian St.Indianapolis.
Enter off of Illinois Street (parking lot located one block south from the museum between 29th and 30th Streets on the left hand side).
Have your child’s car seat checked during this FREE event sponsored by the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute’s (ICJI) Traffic Safety division and the Automotive Safety Program at Riley Hospital. You can also enjoy interactive games and prizes from Radio Disney at this event.
Things to Know Before You Go:
- Bring Your Child With You. In order to have your child’s seat fitted properly, he or she must be present at the event.
- Plan Ahead for Possible Wait Time. Safety seat clinics operate with one goal in mind – to ensure the safety of child passengers in every vehicle checked. Depending upon several factors (number of children, type of vehicle, etc.), the process can be lengthy. Be sure to give yourself plenty of time to be assisted by our technicians. Vehicles will be served on a first come, first served basis.
- What Happens During a Seat Check?
Inspections will be conducted only by certified safety technicians who will
- Check the child safety seat to see that it has been properly installed.
- Remove and inspect the child safety seat for damage.
- Ensure the child safety seat is not a recalled model.
- Get information about children riders from the vehicle owner (size and weight of child, etc.)
- Ensure the child safety seat is appropriate for the size and age of the child.
- Teach the auto owner the correct procedure to properly and safely install the child safety seat in his or her auto.
- Show the parent or caregiver how to secure the child in the seat.
- Discuss other vehicles and safety seats they own, and provide instructions to repeat the correct procedure with other seats or when installing the seat in other cars.