Week of the Young Child takes place April 1-7. It is an annual celebration of children, their families and the early childhood programs that are critical in their development. Day Early Learning will be celebrating #WOYC23 in our centers and providing opportunities for all families to continue learning objectives at home with our activity kits. Families are also invited to a special reading event at their center in the month of April.
Activity kits are based on “Grace and Box” written by Kim Howard and illustrated by Megan Lotter. Each Day Early Learning student received their activity kit and copy of “Grace and Box” at the end of March. These items allow families to celebrate Week of the Young Child’s daily themes:
- Music Monday – On Box’s first adventure he was a rocket that went to space. Turn one side of your box into a musical instrument and rock out to songs all about space using our Spotify playlist. You can use any of your art supplies to do this, so get creative! We suggest using the strings and popsicle sticks to create a guitar.
- Theater Tuesday – One of Box’s adventures was as a submarine on an underwater excursion. Make your own version of “Box Theater.” Use the art supplies provided and decorate Box to look like he is going on an adventure under the sea! Use your imagination and act out an underwater scene with your family.
- Work Together Wednesday – When Box was sick, Grace did many things to try and help him feel better. Now it’s your turn to look around your house for objects that could help Box feel better. To get started, use the scavenger hunt card included in your activity kit.
- Artsy Thursday – Box went on an escapade and became a pirate ship. Now it’s your turn to create your own pirate hat using the paper provided. This page contains instructions on how to fold your paper into a hat. Use the art supplies to decorate another side of your box to look like a pirate ship.
- Family Friday – To finish out the week, read your “Grace and Box” book together as a family. During the book reading, talk through some of the questions below with your child. Afterward, decorate the final side on your box, making it look like your dream adventure. Dream big!
- Where would you want to go on an adventure with Box?
- What would you do while you were there?
- Would you and Box wear any fun clothes or costumes while you were on your adventure?
Our classrooms celebrated Music Monday by drumming with popsicle sticks in paint, making maracas and having dance parties. Our families celebrated using our out-of-this-world Spotify playlist in honor Grace and Box’s first adventure – to space!
Introducing…our adorable chefs! Our classrooms celebrated Tasty Tuesday by trying new fruits, making fruit salad, lemonade and flat bread. At home, our families celebrated Theatre Tuesday by making Box into a submarine and acting out an underwater play.
Work Together Wednesday
Our classrooms celebrated Work Together Wednesday by making pizzas together, building forts and creating collages. Students also hosted a “food truck festival” where they served their families yummy treats. At home, our families gathered items to make Box feel better using their scavenger hunt cards.
Artsy Thursday was a hit in our classrooms! Students spent the day tie-dyeing shirts, playing with puffy paint, drawing and making fly swatter paintings. Our families celebrated by creating their own pirate hats and decorating Box to look like a pirate ship.
It’s finally Family Friday! Students spent the day with their families as they enjoyed pastries, “gardened” at the seed-planting station, and enjoyed a fruit snack bar. At home, families read their “Grace and Box” books together, and decorated their boxes as their dream adventure.
In addition to the activity kits, we are hosting reading events at all Day Early Learning centers with the author of “Grace and Box,” Kim Howard. These events will take place throughout the month of April. The whole family is welcome and snacks will be provided. Please RSVP here. The Indianapolis-based events are supported by United Way of Central Indiana and in partnership with the Indianapolis Public Library.
- IU Health — Tue. April 4 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Eastern Star Church — Wed. April 5 @ 4 p.m.
- Center for Infants and Toddlers — Wed. April 5 @ 5 p.m.
- Park 100 — Thur. April 6 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Fort Harrison — Fri. April 7 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Purdue University — Tue. April 11 @ 4 p.m.
- Patty Jischke — Tue. April 11 @ 5 p.m.
- State Government Center — Wed. April 12 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Lilly Family Center — Tue. April 18 @ 4:30 p.m.
- Federal — Wed. April 19 @ 4 p.m.
- Manual — Wed. April 19 @ 5 p.m.
We hope that you will take these opportunities to celebrate with us, have fun and take photos! Share photos with us through social media by tagging @DayEarlyLearning or by texting 855-379-3471.*
We will continue to update this blog with photos throughout the week.
*By sending photos to Day Early Learning, you are approving the photos for use by Day Early Learning in print, on social media and any other marketing materials.